What is the best AI governance conference worthy of your attention in 2022, considering that due to COVID 19 pandemic many of them still continue to be held online? If you are a director, professor, researcher, data scientist or business leader, it would be useful if the top AI event on your radar would focus not only on the latest technology advancements but cover also emerging data governance, big data, AI safety and AI regulation trends.
Did you know that Gartner indicated ''smarter, faster, more responsible AI'' as a number one among top 10 technology trends that data and analytics leaders should focus on while making essential investments to prepare for a post-pandemic reset?
In fact, the year 2022 events will largely build on and expand initiatives and conversations around AI policy and regulation issues started in 2020 and 2021. Therefore, the purpose of this blog post is to present the actual calendar of the entire year featuring the most important AI/Machine Learning events, AI and ethics, and innovative technology governance conferences, summits, festivals and forums, including highlights on their key themes and topics.
Below you will find a profile for each AI technology related event to make it easy for you to plan your participation, tracking, professional networking, follow up and learning activities. And, no matter when you read this post, you could always check event website and social media accounts for the past and future events on this list.
If you have been focusing mainly on enterprise AI technology use cases and less (or not at all) on its social and environmental impacts, you might find some events in this guide that sound less familiar to you. They are not less important, though. In March 2022 the European Parliament kickstarts public debate on the AI Act, the world's first AI law setting the ground for global rules. Therefore, AI Governance related events 2022 in Europe deserve a special mention.
European AI Governance events at a glance
Twitter: @ai4_belgium #EuropeanAIWeek
High-Level event at World EXPO Dubai
Twitter: @RoboticsEU @InTouchAIeu #AIAlliance #AIExcellence #AITrust
Dedicated sessions on Artificial Intelligence and Data Protection
Twitter: @enisa_eu #Standards4Cyber
Twitter: @ScotAIStrategy #ScotAISummit #ScotAIPlaybook
Twitter: @LivePOLITICO #PoweringTheDecade
The CAI is is the successor of the CAHAI (the ad-hoc committee on Artificial Intelligence of the Council of Europe) with a new mandate to negotiate the world’s first Convention on AI and HumanRights in the next 2 years.
Twitter: @COE4AI #COE4AI
Exploring how AI will shape the future of business and of our society and our planet.
Twitter: @WAICANNES #WAICF
The the 31st conference in the International World Wide Web Conference series, Lyon, France edition. The premier international event about the World Wide Web.
Keynote: Responsible AI: From Principles To Action
Session: Trustworthy AI: A Computation Perspective
Twitter: @TheWebConf #TheWebConf #WWW2022 #WWW22
The online workshop by ETAPAS (Ethical Technology Adoption in Public Administration Services) Project will include discussions on ethical and social assessment of disruptive technologies in the public sector, trustworthy AI solutions, strategies for a governance
Twitter: @ETAPAS_EU #ETAPAS #TrustworthyAI
Annual conference with focus on Peace, Law and Security in an international perspective. The conference contributes to setting the agenda for the future of responsible and humane AI.
Twitter: @HagueAi #TheHague #ResponsibleAI
Multidisciplinary conference on Artificial Intelligence for the Public Sector: Regulatory perspective; Trustworthiness of AI applications in public sector; Bringing AI closer to citizens; High-Level Policy round table on: potential of AI for economic growth and legitimacy questions that arise from the use of AI in public services.
Twitter: @EU_ScienceHub @InteroperableEU @EU_DIGIT #PublicSector #AI
Annual "foresight on standardization" exercise under the Putting Science into Standards (PSIS) initiative organised by CEN and CENELEC (European Standardization Committees, making standards for Europe) together with the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre.
Twitter: @Standards4EU #TrustworthyAI
Organised by the French Presidency of the EU Council and the European Commission Key areas (where Europe needs to define its digital future): digital sovereignty and resilience, green transition and new digital rights and principles.
Twitter: @Europe2022FR @DigitalEU #PFUE2022 #DigitalAssembly2022
The first EU's regulatory sandbox on AI piloted by Spain, aims to create the conditions for a smooth implementation of the future regulatory rules applying on the field.
Twitter: @DigitalEU @SEDIAgob #AIRegulatorySandbox #AIRegulation
The Artificial Intelligence association of Lithuania is organizing one of the largest Machine learning Summer Schools in Europe in Vilnius, Lithuania in a hybrid format following previous 2018-2021 events: TMLSS2018, EEML2019, EEML2020, EEML2021.
Twitter: @lithuania_ai #machinelearningcourse #summerschool
Premier international gathering of researchers in AI
Twitter: @IJCAIconf #IJCAI2022
What does the top AI conference Guide cover?
The Guide 2021 includes events focused on tech advancements and ethical and responsible development and use of AI and other emerging technologies, and aimed especially at AI experts and industry leaders involded with or interested in AI adoption and digital transformation initiatives as well as at tech sector executives and managers.
It is divided into four sections that cover:
AI event profiles include dates and location, key theme, Twitter handle, dedicated AI event hashtag, program and topics highlights, website address, current edition and previous edition insights (where available/relevant).
Why engage with AI system governance agenda?
It goes without saying that you don't need to attend all events. There are plenty of other ways how you could use them to your advantage. However, the five main reasons why modern industry leaders should make sure they stay on top of the recent developments and emerging trends are as follows:
- to make more informed decisions and build a reliable foundation for your business strategy
- to manage AI risks beyond compliance and make your company more successful in the long term
- to learn about good business practices for implementing responsible and ethical use of AI, improving corporate processes and fulfilling social responsibility
- to stay engaged with AI policy makers not only to track evolving regulations but to shape them by providing your inputs and being part of AI governance and ethics conversations and pilot projects
- to unlock new business development opportunities by staying ahead of the curve, reinventing your business models and making them fit for the future.
Bonus benefits: Last but not least, meaningfully engaging with AI regulation and policy issues, attending or following at least some top AI conferences and events could be a great way of finding your next new business partner, employee, investor, advisor and learning from your global peers.
Of course, it's totally up to you how you decide to learn and improve AI business practices. Ignore ethics and tech regulation developments, events and conversations at your own peril.
Top AI governance conferences in Europe and around the world
Still curious to identify your own top AI event? Here's the list of the best AI gatherings with tech ethics, policy and regulation angle to attend or follow in 2022.
Let's dive into it!
1. Human Rights in the Era of AI - Europe as international Standard Setter for AI
Dates and location: 20 January 2021
Key theme: The impact of AI on fundamental rights, democracy and the rule of law, as well as the feasibility and details of a future legal framework for artificial intelligence technology.
Twitter & event hashtag: @GermanyCoE #COE4AI
Edition: High-level AI event organised as part of Germany’s Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe from November 2020 to May 2021.
- Panel Debate 1: Do we need an internationally harmonised legal framework for AI?
- Panel Debate 2: Expectations for AI regulation within the Council of Europe and beyond
- Presentation of the feasibility study and prospects for a future CoE legal framework on AI
- High-level closing Panel: How can the CoE and EU build bridges as international standard-setters for the regulation of AI?
Web : https://germanycoe.de
2. Computers, Privacy and Data Protection CPDP 2022
Dates and location: 23-25 May 2022, Brussels, Belgium
Key theme: Data protection and privacy in transitional times.
Twitter & event hashtag: @cpdpconferences #CPDP2022
Edition: 15th international annual conference
Program highlights: Here's only some of the selected titles of the CPDP 2022 sessions included:
- The future and regulation of global data flows
- Data protection regulation post-COVID
- Future of AI policy
- The AI Act: where are we and where are we going
- Data sovereignty and other emerging data governance models
- Synthetic data meet the GDPR
- New features: CPDP Global - new, full-day addition to the CPDP program; Curated bookstand.
What is special about CPDP gathering?:
- Its multidisciplinary formula: CPDP brings together a diverse blend of stakeholders, disciplines and approaches and offers the cutting edge in legal, regulatory, academic and technological development in privacy and data protection. CPDP is EU’s main multistakeholder forum for academics, lawyers, practitioners, policy-makers, industry and nonprofits from all over the world to meet and discuss the latest emerging issues and trends in privacy and ICT.
- CPDP 2021 key theme: Enforcing rights in a changing world
- The CPDP 2020 took AI as its focus to pave the way for a thorough discussion over a broad range of ethical, legal and policy issues related to new technologies and data analytics.
Web : https://www.cpdpconferences.org
3. Ad Hoc Committee on Artificial Intelligence - CAHAI, Council of Europe
Dates and location: see the calendar of meetings for the year 2021 below
CAHAI dedicated event on the multi-stakeholder consultation
21 May 2021
CAHAI Bureau Meetings:
15 January 2021, 27 April 2021 and 8 -10 November 2021
CAHAI Plenary Meetings:
26 February 2021, 28 - 30 June 2021 and 7 - 9 December 2021
CAHAI PDG (Policy Development Group) Meetings:
21 - 22 January 2021, 18 - 19 March 2021 and 11 - 12 October 2021
CAHAI LFG (Legal Framework Group) Meetings:
10 - 11 February 2021, 8 - 9 April 2021, 20 - 21 September and 2 - 3 November 2021
CAHAI COG (Consultations and Outreach Group) Meetings:
3 - 4 June 2021.
Deliverables and documents produced by CAHAI so far include:
- The first progress report approved by the Committee of Ministers
- Feasibility study on a legal framework on AI design, development and application based on the Council of Europe standards
- Towards Regulation of AI Systems publication
Other international organisations such as EU, OECD and UNESCO also contribute to CAHAI’s work.
Note: While CAHAI meetings are internal, the group is engaging with diverse stakeholders and the outcomes of their work are important and relevant for everyone.
Key theme: Towards an application of artificial intelligence based on fundamental rights, the rule of law and democracy. Main focus in 2021: elaboration of elements of an appropriate legal framework for the development, design and application of AI tech, including through broad multi-stakeholder consultations.
Twitter & event hashtag: @COE4AI #CoE4AI #CAHAI
Edition: The CAHAI's mandate is two years.
Program highlights: Elaboration of the feasibility study and Mapping of the work on AI already carried out within the Council of Europe and other international organisations and multi-stakeholder initiatives.
What is special about CAHAI?: Its mandate and work on the legal standards that aim to set global benchmarks. The CAHAI is set to present the elements for a Convention on AI by end 2021.
4. What Future for European Robotics? Science for Policy event
Dates and location: 27 - 29 January 2021, Brussels, Belgium LIVESTREAM
Key theme: Scientific, policy-oriented and EU-centred analysis of the state of robotics from technical, economic and social angles, including short-term and long-term policy challenges, particularly in the context of the COVID-19 crisis and its recovery.
Europe's tech sector is coming of age. Europe has all the potential to be a global leader in the next wave of digital transformation.
President von der Leyen // at the Lisbon Web Summit, December 2020
Twitter & AI and Robotics event hashtag: @EU_ScienceHub #AIWATCH
Program highlights: selected keynote and panel discussion topics include:
- Economic impact of robotisation on employment, productivity and competitiveness
- The impact of robots on society
- Assessing the social impact of AI and robotics
- AI Robots and foresight
- Policy Round Table: What regulatory framework is needed for EU robotics?
This AI event brings together key policy-makers, scientists from MIT, Sorbonne, OECD, Universities of Ghent, Utrecht and Berlin, as well as representatives of industry, companies and venture capitalist.
5. Politico AI and Tech Summit 2022
Dates and location: 21 April 2022, in Brussels, Belgium and ONLINE
Key theme: Continued debates around the Data Act, Digital Services Act (DSA), AI Act, data protection, as well as international cooperation in AI development and how to best harness the potential of AI in diverse areas: cyber security, health care and gaming.
Twitter & Politico AI event hashtag: @LivePOLITICO #POLITICOAI
Edition: 5th edition convening the most influential voices in tech policy to unpack Europe’s ambitions for the tech sector.
- The European Commission's AI rules package: one year later
- Regulating technical dimensions of algorithms used by AI tools
- Europe's role in AI diplomacy and international standards
- Metaverse and Europe's gaming industry: regulatory framework needed?
What is special about POLITICO Summit?: High level panels, strategic round tables, addressing big profound questions and issues at the intersection of innovation and government, bringing in multiple viewpoints to find a way forward for making a difference on society at large.
Politico AI and Tech Summit 2022 takes stock of the European Commission’s AI legislative package aimed at encouraging innovation while ensuring these new technologies are used responsibly.
Politico AI Summit 2021 discussed EU's proposal of legislation to govern the use of AI including new requirements on algorithmic transparency and implementation effort expected from startups, mid-size companies and big tech.
Politico AI Summit 2020 in Europe aimed to tackle key questions about the future of AI global regulation. The event attracted high-level international and interdisciplinary group of government leaders with industry, research, academic, and civil society stakeholders, including corporates, scientists and engineers, AI researcher, ethicists, economists, sociologists, anthropologists, VCs, start-ups.
6. Data Innovation Summit 2022
Dates and location: 5-6 May 2022, a HYBRID event (onsite in Stockholm, Sweden)
Key theme: Towards Human-Centered Data and AI-Driven Innovation
Twitter & event hashtag: @DISummit2030 #DIS22
Edition: 7th edition
Program highlights: The Data Innovation Summit addresses all the elements of data-driven and AI-ready business: data, people, processes and technology, including:
- Technology in practice
- Ethical and Responsible AI
- AI Ethics: an excuse to uphold century-old power structures
- Foster trust in AI – Improve transparency and governance with AI Factsheets
7. European AI Forum 2022 - top conference for national AI associations
Dates and location: 30 June 2022 Livestream from Paris, France
Key theme: The path forward for European AI innovation
Twitter & event hashtag: @HubFranceIA #EuropeanAIforum
Edition: 5th edition
Program highlights: keynotes, panels and fireside chats exploring the most pressing issues that are driving the AI ecosystem around
- AI and Defence: How to approach the new security situation in Europe?
- AI Data and Regulation: What is the status of the AI Regulation in the EU Parliament?
- AI and Energy: How AI can secure energy stability in the EU?
- AI in Finance and compliance: How to control the risks associated with the use of artificial intelligence in the banking and finance?
What is special about the European AI Forum 2022?: Flagship conference in collaboration with national AI-associations in the EU organized by the HubFranceIA under the patronage of the French EU Presidency.
The network includes National European AI Associations (AI Austria, AI Bulgaria, Croatia CroAI, Hub France IA and Germany KI-Bundesverband), Slovenia AI - AI4SI, Netherlands - NL AI Coalitie), Artificial Intelligence Association of Lithuania (Lithuania AI) and AIPoland (initiative of the Digital Poland Foundation) joining forces to set AI agenda in Europe and shape AI regulatory framework .
Watch the replay of their previous AI events here (European AI Forum 2020, 2021): www.european-ai-forum.com
8.High Level Conference on AI by European Commission and the Slovenian Presidency of the EU Council
Dates and location: 14-15 September 2021, HYBRID Web streaming and Brdo, Slovenia
Key theme: From ambition to Action
- A Framework for Trustworthy AI
- EU as a Hub for Cuting Edge AI
Twitter & event hashtag: @RoboticsEU @EU2021SI @InTouchAIeu #AIHLC #AIAlliance #FromAmbitionToAction
Edition: follow up on the EU Proposal (April 2021) for a Regulation on Artificial Intelligence and the updated Coordinated Plan on AI as well as the previous editions of the European AI Alliance Assembly.
Program highlights: inspirational speeches, panel discussions and breakout sessions on governance, standartization and liability
- European achievement and ambition in AI. Trustworthy AI - the role of law and regulation
- International panel on regulation with views from international organisations
- International reflections on global governance of AI
What is special about the event?: high level gathering in EU with international insights
Key theme 2nd AI Alliance Assembly: Towards an AI ecosystem of excellence and trust
Twitter & AI Alliance Assembly hashtag: @RoboticsEU, @DSMeu #AIAlliance
2nd Edition: 9 October 2020
Program highlights of 2020 AI event: Uptake of AI in the public sector; the results of the Consultation on the European Commission AI White Paper; Conformity assessment, standards, and high-risk AI applications; AI and liability.
What is special about the EU AI Alliance Assembly?: The European AI Alliance is a forum that engages more than 4000 European citizens and stakeholders in a dialogue on the future of AI in Europe. It is key event for any thought leader and policymaker in the field of AI.
9. Internet Governance Forum IGF 2022
Dates and location: 2022, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and ONLINE
Key theme: Resilient Internet for a Shared Sustainable and Common Future
Twitter & event hashtag: @intgovforum #IGF2022
Edition: 17th edition of the IGF
Program highlights: The The programme is being developed around five specific themes:
- Connecting All People and Safeguarding Human Rights
- Avoiding Internet Fragmentation
- Governing Data and Protecting Privacy
- Enabling Safety, Security and Accountability
- Addressing Advanced Technologies, including AI
What is special about the Internet Governance Forum?: The IGF is a global multistakeholder platform that facilitates the discussion of public policy issues pertaining to the Internet.
The IGF 2019 was hosted in Berlin under the overarching theme: One World. One Net. One Vision.
The IGF 2020 was organised online under the theme: Internet for human resilience and solidarity and the IGF2021 - Internet United.
10. Applied Machine Learning Days 2022 - premier applied AI/ML European conference
Dates and location: 26 - 30 March 2022, Lausanne, Switzerland (in person event only, no live streaming)
Key theme: Applied Machine Learning Days at EPFL 2022 consist of thematically focused program on machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Twitter & event hashtag: @appliedmldays #AMLD2022 #AMLDEPFL22
Edition: 5th edition
Themes highlights of #AMLD2022:
- AI and Regulation
- AI for Media and Democracy
- AI and Pharma
- AI and Cybersecurity
- The Data and AI Maturity Journey
- AI for Food and Nutrition
- AI and Sustainable Energy
- AI and Manufacturing
- Advances of Machine Learning for Financial Decision Making
- AI and Healthcare
- AI and Industry
- AI Systems for Humanitarian Action
Program highlights: workshops, training sessions, tutorials, more than 27 domain-specific tracks, top-level keynote speakers, poster sessions, networking events, companies exhibition, startup spotlight.
What is special about Applied ML Days (AMLD) at EPFL?: It consists of hands-on sessions and tracks on machine learning and artificial intelligence with top speakers from around the world. EPFL is one of Europe’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan science and tech institutions.
Audience profile: developers, technologists, CTOs, CIOs, managers, scientists, researchers, engineers, policy makers, machine learning experts and students.
11. CogX Festival and Leadership Summit 2022
Dates and location: 13-15 June 2022, Kings Cross, London, UK
Key theme: How Do We Get the Next 10 Years Right? (focus on all things AI, blockchain technology and other emerging tech)
Twitter & event hashtag: @cogX_Festival #CogX2022
Edition: 6th edition - Festival of AI, Blockchain, the Metaverse and all the latest Transformational Technologies
Program highlights: 2022 CogX Festival Tracks include Climate, CreaTech, Customer Experience, Cutting Edge, Cyber Security and Defence, Ethics and Society, FinTech and Financial Services, Future of Learning, Future of Work, GenZ, Global Economy, Groundbreaking Research, Health and Wellbeing, Leadership, Metaverse and Gaming, Next Gen Infrastructure, Start Up to IPO, Web 3.0.
What is special about CogX Festival :
- The CogX Festival aims to be the biggest, most inclusive and forward-thinking gathering of leaders, CEOs, entrepreneurs, policy makers, artists, academics and activists.
- CogX 2019 promoted AI for Good by encouraging its participants to point their Tools, Tech and Talent towards the UN 17 Global Goals (SDGs) and build a brighter future – for business, for humanity and for the planet.
12. World Summit AI 2022 - one of the top AI conferences promoting diversity and inclusion in AI & tech industry
Dates and location: 12-13 October 2022, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Key theme: AI with Impact
Twitter & event hashtag: @WorldSummitAI #WSAI22
Edition: 6th (previously, WSAI 2017, WSAI 2018, WSAI 2019, WSAI 2020, WSAI 2021)
Program highlights: AI innovation, AI ethics, AI for Good, applied AI solutions for enterprise. The WSAI 2022 program includes curated meetings, table talks, masterclass sessions, and hands-on workshops.
What is special about WSAI?:
- Leading summit gathering the global AI ecosystem of Enterprise, BigTech, Startups, Investors and Science, the brightest brains in AI, guided by the mission to tackle the most burning AI issues and set the global AI agenda.
13. TTC Summit 2022 - Trustworthy AI Experiences
Dates and location: 4-5 May 2022 ONLINE
Twitter & event hashtag: @TTCLabs #TTCSummit
Key theme: questions of trust, explainability and control in AI
Program highlights: The conversation about transparent and explainable AI:
- Transparency and explainability in regulation
- AI and Society: demonstrating accountability
- Where control of AI systems happens
- Approaches to AI Trustworthiness and UX Design from industry leaders and startups
14. Data2030 Summit 2022 - Nordics and MEA
Dates and location: 29 September 2022, Stockholm, Sweden and ONLINE
Key theme: Ways of enabling faster Data Innovation and AI deployment across the enterprise through a modern Data Management strategy and platform for the new decade
Twitter & event hashtag: @Data2030Summit #Data2030Summit
Edition: 6th edition
- Data Governance and Data Quality
- Building and managing Data Pipelines
Key theme Data2030 Summit 2021: The latest methodologies, strategies and tools used by AI-driven organisations to address business critical Data Management challenges
15. Global Technology Governance Summit
Dates and location: 6-7 April 2021, Tokyo, Japan
Edition: 1st inaugural summit
Program highlights: GTGS 2021 will cover the following key topic areas:
- Industry Transformation
- Government Transformation
- Frontier Technologies
GOOD GOVERNANCE FRAMEWORK:
The extent to which the benefits of technology are maximized, and the risks mitigated depends on the quality of governance protocols – policies, norms, standards, and incentives that shape the development and deployment of technologies.
The World Economic Forum is convening the GTGS 2021 in collaboration with the Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution Network. This global network comprises more than 40 governments and international organizations as well as 150 companies.
16. AI Expo Africa 2022 - the continent's largest B2B trade show and Artificial Intelligence conference
Dates and location: 19-20 September 2022, Johannesburg, South Africa
Key theme: Building an AI - powered future for Africa
Twitter & event hashtag: @aiexpoafrica #AIExpoAfrica
Edition: 5th edition in 2022
Program highlights: AI Expo Africa 2022 program is organised around 4 speaking tracks focused on enterprise case studies and the application of 4IR technologies in business, deployment challenges, ethical considerations related to the vibrant innovation and start up ecosystem driving the 4IR industry segment in Africa.
What is special about AI Expo Africa international conference?:
- Focus on real world business AI applications
- AI Expo Africa is the top business focused AI, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and Data Science conference in Africa
- The event brings together decision makers, investors, buyers, suppliers, innovators, small businesses and global brands in the region.
17. AI World Government 2022
Dates and location: 6-7 October 2022, Washington DC, USA and ONLINE
Key theme for 2022: Accelerating Innovation in the Public Sector
Twitter & event hashtag: @AIWorldExpo #AIWorldGov
Edition: 4th edition in2022
Program highlights: government thought leaders share their approaches to AI accountability models and frameworks, human-centricity, cyber security and risk management, talent and change management, Cloud infrastructures, AI software engineering and architectures, ethics and standards.
What is special about AI World Government?: Federal government decision-makers meet to share strategies and approaches on how they are leveraging AI to innovate and advance services, with minimal risk and maximum return on investment.
18. International Conference on Computational Intelligence & Sustainable Development - ICCISD 2022
Dates and location: 22-23 April 2022, India
Key theme: Managing change to ensure sustainable growth
Twitter & event hashtag: @OfficialIndiaAI #ICCISD2022
Edition: 1st international conference
Program highlights The aim of this conference is to provide a platform to researchers and practitioners for sharing their ideas and to discuss latest trends and contemporary challenges in the field of Computer Science and Engineering and changing economic and competitive environment.
19. GPAI Summit - Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence annual event
Dates and location: GPAI's work is presented annually during a Multi-stakeholder Experts Group Plenary
Key theme: AI in Action - encompassing look at where AI is and where it needs to go
Twitter & event hashtag: @GPAI_PMIA #GPAIsummit
Edition: 3nd international conference in 2022
Program highlights: The program is organised around 5 pillars:
- Responsible Use of AI
- Data Governance
- The Future of Work
- AI and Pandemic Response
- AI Innovation and Commercialisation
What is special about GPAI Summit:
- The Summit aims to bridge the gap between theory and practice. All activities of the GPAI are intended to foster responsible development of AI grounded in the principles of fundamental rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation and economic growth.
20. AI for Good Global Summit - best conference focusing on AI and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Dates and location: in 2022 ALL YEAR Always Online, Geneva, Switzerland
Key theme: Accelerating the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Connecting AI innovators with problem owners to solve global challenges
Twitter & event hashtag: @ITU_AIForGood #AIforGood
Edition: 6th edition in 2022
Program highlights: The AI for Good Global Summit is presented as an all-year digital event, featuring weekly programming across multiple formats, platforms and time-zones, including keynotes, expert webinars, project pitches, Q&As, performances, demos, interviews, networking opportunities. Some examples of topics include:
- Digital agricultural technologies for Global Food Security
- AI in health and medicine
- Let’s create AI with integrity
- Towards the future of the energy industry with intelligent robots
- Innovative applications for climate change mitigation and adaptation
What is special about AI for Good Global Summit:
- THE leading action-oriented, global and inclusive United Nations platform on AI and #AIforGood movement
- A multi-stakeholder, inter-disciplinary approach
21. AI for the Planet global conference
Dates and location: 29 March 2022 DIGITAL Conference
Key theme: AI for the Planet Initiative launching a series of monthly dialogues (Tuesdays Together for the Planet) that brings together experts and AI pioneers from all around the world to share use cases, identify best practices, celebrate successes and inspire further actions in this field.
Twitter & event hashtag: @Startup_inside_ #IAforthePlanet
Edition: 2nd edition France in 2022
Program highlights: AI for the Planet Initiative covers the following topics: Climate Change, Nature & Biodiversity Conservation, Waste & Pollution Management, The Future of Environmental Education & Reporting, Sustainable Mobility, Oceans, AI and Water, AgriTech.
What is special about AI for the Planet Initiative?: It promotes international collaboration across a range of stakeholders including researchers, policy makers, startups, technologists, citizen scientists and the private sector to ensure that AI is harnessed to contribute to the environmental sustainability.
22. AI and Human Rights Forum 2022
Dates and location: 25-29 April 2022 Montreal, Canada ONLINE
Key theme: an open dialogue with leading AI and human rights experts
Twitter & event hashtag: @MIGSinstitute
Edition: 3rd edition in 2022
Program highlights: Some of the topics that will be discussed include :
- Robot Rights and the Human Rights Regime
- Equal Access to AI Governance: Civic Participation as a Pillar of Human Rights and Social Justice
- Navigating the surveillance technology ecosystem: A human rights due diligence guide for investors
- AI and the spread of hate speech & propaganda: Challenges and possibilities in the use of AI and its legislative regulation
What is special about this forum?:
- AI and Human Rights Forum brings together the world’s top experts on disinformation, online hate and freedom of speech, authoritarian tech, AI ethics and governance, and global cooperation.
Web: migs.concordia.ca and bit.ly/MIGS_AIHumRightsForum (event registration)
23. IAIA 2022 Vancouver: annual international conference on Impact Assessment
Dates and location: 4-7 May, 2022, Vancouver, Canada
Key theme: The Confidence in Impact Assessment: Policies, Partnerships and Public Involvement
Impact assessment, simply defined, is the process of identifying the future consequences of a current or proposed action. IAIA is the leading global network on best practice in the use of impact assessment for informed decision making regarding policies, programs, plans and projects. Impact assessment is a practical tool for helping meet today's needs without compromising the opportunities of future generations..
Edition: 41st annual conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA)
Program highlights: The IAIA 2022 conference will have wide-ranging discussions covering vaious impact assessment topics including:
- Corporate stewardship and risk management
- Regulation and governance
- Community engagement
- Strategic impact assessment
- Social impact assessment
- Emerging technologies
- Capacity building in impact assessment
What is special about IAIA Seville international conference?:
- IAIA is the only international, interdisciplinary conference dedicated to the art and science of impact assessment.
- Diversity in participants of IAIA conferences, coming from different sectors: consultancies, government, industry, academia, research institutes, donor agencies, development banks and NGOs in over 80 countries.
- IAIA is the leading global network on impact assessment.
Do we need impact assessments for disruptive digital technologies? If not, what would be the alternative? If we don’t create at least basic assessment systems to ensure we’re using next-generation technologies for our benefit and to advance social cohesion, carbon-neutrality and sustainability, we put our future at risk.
from iaia.org blog
24. RightsCon 2022 - World's leading conference on human rights in the digital age
Dates and location: 6-10 June, 2022 ONLINE
Key theme: Human Rights in the Digital Age
Twitter & event hashtag: @rightscon #RightsCon
Edition: 11th annual Summit in 2022
Program highlights: The issues shaping the 2022 program:
- Artificial Intelligence, Data Protection
- Human Rights-Centered Design
- Business, Labor, and Trade
- Digital Security for Communities
- Global Cyber Norms
- Privacy and Surveillance
- Futures, Fictions and Frontiers
- Civil Society Resistance and Resilience
What is special about RightsCon?:
- RightsCon is bringing together business leaders, policy makers, general counsels, technologists, advocates, academics, government representatives, and journalists from around the world to tackle the most pressing issues at the intersection of fundamental rights and innovative technology
- RightsCon speakers included e.g. CEO of Reddit, CloudFlare, President of Microsoft, Head of WhatsApp, Head of Cyber security Policy at Facebook, Global Lead Strategy and Policy at Google, Global Engagement Lead at Mozilla, Executive Director at Mozilla Foundation, Director Digital Diplomacy at Microsoft.
25. UN World Data Forum 2023
Dates and location: 24-27 April 2023, Hangzhou, China
Key theme: Delivering better data for evidence-based policymaking
Twitter & event hashtag: @UNDataForum #UNDataForum
Edition: 5th edition in 2023 (previous in 2021)
Program highlights: The Program is organised around six main thematic areas.
What is special about this forum?: It serves as a platform for intensifying cooperation with various professional groups, such as IT, data science, geospatial information managers and users, as well as civil society stakeholders.
26. UN Forum on Business and Human Rights
Dates and location: November - December 2022, Geneva, Switzerland ONLINE
Key theme 2021: Taking stock of the first 10 years of the UN Guiding Principles and developing a roadmap for the next decade (“UNGPs 10+”).
Twitter & event hashtag: @WGBizHRs #UNForumBHR #BizHumanRights
Edition: 11th edition in 2022
Program 2021 highlights:
- Looking back at progress and challenges to-date and inspiring a renewed push for scaled-up global implementation of the UNGPs on Business and Human Rights by States, businesses and other actors in the decade ahead.
- Considering context: convergence of crises ranging from the ongoing human and financial costs of COVID-19 pandemic to the existential climate crisis, growing inequality, systemic and pervasive gender and racial discrimination, shrinking civic space, and human consequences of technological developments.
What is special about the UN Forum?: It seeks to facilitate dialogue not only on trends and challenges, but most importantly to promote collaboration on solutions and identifying good practices in implementing the UN Guiding Principles worldwide, across particular sectors, operational environments or in relation to specific rights or groups.
Additions to top AI event 2022 list
Other notable gatherings with a strong research angle that need to be highlighted are the following:
ACM FAccT 2022: ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency
Date: 21-24 June 2022 in Seoul, Korea and online. More details: website https://facctconference.org and Twitter @FAccTConference #facct2022 #facct22 online conversations.
5th AAAI/ACM Conference 2022 on Artificial Intelligence, Ethics and Society
Date: 1-3 August 2022, Oxford. More details: website www.aies-conference.com/2022/ and Twitter @RealAAAI @AIESConf #AAAI2022 #AIESconference online conversations.
The 39th International Conference on Machine Learning will be held on 17-23 July 2022. More details: website icml.cc and Twitter @icmlconf #ICML2022 conversations.
The 8th International Conference on Machine Vision and Machine Learning 2022: it aims to become the leading annual gathering for scholars from all over the world in fields related to machine vision and machine learning. Some topics included: Artificial Intelligence for Machine Vision, Neurocomputing, Pattern Recognition. See website mvml.org for more details.
The 31st International Joint IJCAI-ECAI 2022 Conference on Artificial Intelligence - Vienna, Austria (23-29 July 2022). It is created for dissemination and exchange of information on Artificial Intelligence between AI researchers and practitioners. More details: website ijcai-22.org and Twitter @IJCAIconf #IJCAI2022 conversations.
As one popular tweet in 2020 by a young computer vision professional mentioned: It took a pandemic to make it possible to attend several professional gatherings in a single year e.g. European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR), ICML and NeurIPS (Neural Information Processing Systems) Conference.
Although this list of AI events for business industry leaders is quite comprehensive, it is not meant to be exaustive. Some other important gatherings on AI and AI governance could be added throughout the year, as not all the organisations announce their full calendar well in advance.
Over To You
So, here you have it. I hope that you find this updated list of top AI conferences 2022 useful for your work, business and professional development.
What is your best Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning conference 2022 and why? How are you engaging with the speakers, participants and conversations?
Let's shape AI emerging technology responsibly, so that it could achieve its big promise to generate value for the whole society.
Updated for the year 2022 (originally covered 2020 and 2021 AI events).